Major research capabilities include a) simulation and optimization of forging, sheet forming, hydroforming and metal cutting processes, b) cold precision forging
using multiple action tooling, c) blank holder force control in stamping, d) die and mold manufacturing including high speed milling, and e) rapid tool manufacturing and prototyping of products and processes.
Other interests include comparison of manufacturing education in various countries and industry related research and education.
Years of Service at The Ohio State University:
- 1986-Present: Professor, Mechanical Engineering and Industrial, Welding and Systems Engineering
- 1978-1986: Adjunct Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Other related experience:
- 1986-Present: Director, ERC for Net Shape Manufacturing
- 1968-1986: Sr. Research Scientist / Research Leader / Senior Research Leader,Battelle – Columbus Division
- 1966-1968: Research Scientist, DuPont Company.
Consulting (Last 5 years):
- Numerous in the US, as well as overseas
Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
- Founding member of NAMRI, North American Manufacturing Research Institute of SME, Chairman of the Scientific Committee, 1982-1985
- Active member of CIRP, Chairman of STC-Scientific Technical Committee Forming, 1986-1991, Member of Council, 1998-2001
Honors and Awards:
- 2002 Lumley Research Award, OSU - College of Engineering
- 1998 William T. Ehnor Manufacturing Technology Award, ASME
- 1996 Gold Medal and $25,000.00, Japanese Society of the Technology of Plasticity
- 1986 Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- 1985 Gold Medal, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- 1986 Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 1976 Chairman, Production Engineering Division, ASME
- 1983 Fellow, ASM International, Chairman of the Forging Division, 1978-1988
Member of the Editorial / Advisory Boards of:
- International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture (Elsevier)
- Journal of Materials Processing Technology (Elsevier)
- Steel Research (Verlag Stahleisen)
Biography included in:
- Marquis "Who's Who in America"
- "Who's Who in Frontier of Science and Technology"
- "Who's Who in the Midwest"
- Technology Recognition Corporation's "Who's Who in Technology Today"
- Engineering Joint Council's "Who's Who in Engineering"
- International Biographical Center's "Who's Who in Engineering"
- "Men of Achievement'
Professional Development Activities :
- Advised or co-advised more than 130 master students and 20 Ph.D. students.
- Developed four courses:
- IWSE 711 – Metal Forming Fundamentals and Application (1975-1985)
- IWSE 822 – Advanced Topics in Manufacturing (1986-present)
- IWSE 511 – Introduction to Manufacturing (1998-present)
- ME 894A – Sheet Metal Forming Presses and Tooling (1997-present)
- Three books on Metal Forming and Forging
- More than 500 technical Publications